January 27, 2011

Last But Not Least

Thanks for looking in on me this week, btw. Chances are somewhat good we go back to once a week after this. I've started writing a story about a detective who uses Magic 8 Ball in place of Dr. Watson. It's okay though, he smokes a pipe.

Tonight completes the week of recipes. This time I did Lamb meatballs with couscous and Feta. And I want to say how surprised I am at how light this went down and how, though I am full, I am not stuffed or overfed or feel sluggish. I take that as a good sign for doing it right. Anyway that's what I'm telling myself.

If you've noticed anything this week I hope you've noticed that none of these dishes I presented take any more than a half an hour to prepare and cook. Some are even less. This is another half hour masterpiece. The reason for that is pretty obvious from a time perspective but also because I've been getting into simpler/shorter the last few months. This one has a bunch of ingredients, but it's easy.

In a bowl you combine
1 lb. ground lamb
1/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 cup of chopped red onion
salt and pepper to taste

Wet those hands and get in there and make some meatballs. On the smallish-side this time. try to use this mess to make 18 to 20. Smaller will help them cook right, but also look better on the plate.

You put these meatballs on a cooking sheet (I lined with aluminum to help the cleanup). You will put them in the oven for 8 minutes at 425/450. Make sure nothing is pink when you think they are done. A little "burn smudge" is good here and there, but don't let them dry out. Lamb is easy and forgiving. Relax.

Make your couscous. LOOKIT THE BOX yeah?
1 cup couscous for this recipe

In a mixing bowl (small one) mix together
3 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (remember my citrus juicer? Be jealous)
and around 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
Set that aside. It will become the last thing you use.

Slice up
2 small tomatoes
1/2 cucumber
1 small red onion

Ready?

When the couscous and meatballs are done you lay a bed of the couscous on a plate and put 4/5/6 meatballs on top per plate (remember, they're supposed to be small).
You fan out some sliced tomato and cucumber aside the couscous and toss some red onion slices here and there.

Now take the Feta (As much as you want. They are saying 4 ounces to spread around everybody) and sprinkle it, crumbled on the each plate. Go ahead. Be generous.

To complete, the little dressing you made is now sprinkled over everything on the plate, especially the tomatoes and cucumber. Notice I did not say put salt on those. It's in the dressing. relax.

But the dressing goes on the meat and couscous too, don't forget.

And that's it. Serve baby serve. I found it a very light-feeling dinner. Held my portions to reasonable and am well satisfied. I think you will like.

That ends recipe week. This one, anyway.

Now... you really want me to cook for you, don't you? Admit it. Well? Come on over. I'd be happy to.

Really.

12 comments:

Tug said...

I love reading about the recipes, and how good they are. Don't comment often, but love it. Now if you could tell me why I'll never make any of them, even though they sound delish & I cook every weekend because my big meal is lunch, which I eat at my desk M-F EVERY.SINGLE.WEEK and I'm sick of the same 'ole same 'ole... yeah.

I need help.

RW said...

It's motivation more than anything. Most people don't like to cook for themselves but I do because that way I can toss it out and act like it never happened.

Gino said...

i think you left out something:
meatballs are supposed to be smothered with a red sauce.

its The Way.

Tug said...

Insane how simple something can be that I've never seen. It's the possibility of throwing it out, I'm pretty sure. I *hate* throwing food out, to the point that I'll overeat if it's Friday & there isn't enough for 2 full meals (save one for Monday), but it was still too much for one meal.

Wow. I do need help. (Hope you don't charge for that therapy, & if you do? Check's in the mail.) ;-)

RW said...

gino - you need to go a little more east, :-)

tug - I mean if I've done it wrong and it turns out bad I can just toss it. No sense in killing the poor beast twice.

sybil law said...

Man! Another recipe to try! I likey.
I love meatballs of damn near any kind.

But what's the big deal about the juicer? I mean, it's only tablespoons - you need a juicer for that?! :)

Whatever. This will definitely be made, too.

RW said...

It's real juice from a fruit or fake juice from a bottle. A yellow lemon that makes the kitchen smell nice and tastes fresh or liquid from a reconstituted deconstructed concentrate distilled something or other labled "REAL Lemon." Yeah right. That's what.

So bleh!

Tug said...

Yeah, I caught that. Thought both 'if I make it wrong' & 'if I make it right but don't like it'...either way, tossing it would get to me.

Verdant Earl said...

Dig.

sybil law said...

No! I just mean, I can cut a fresh lemon or lime and squeeze 2 tablespoons' worth out of it, instead of using a juicer.
Maybe I need to google juicer. Not sure what we're talking about.
Bleh!
:P

RW said...

No I just have it for orange juice and lemonade. But since I have it, I trade squeezing with my hands for a minute with putting it in the juicer for two seconds. The juicer is for juice, it just gets used for this 'cuz it's there.

Faiqa said...

Sooo... hungry... now...