November 04, 2010

Go Find It

I finally found the old Ice Water album in CD. Honestly it wasn't on Amazon for some time and whenever I looked it up it wasn't anywhere.

It arrived today.

It's only for you 6 and 12 string guitar fans. The rest can pass. For me this was the "tape" (Okay it was 1974 yeah?) we played all the way to and back from Chicago to Boston in that summer. There was a lot of weed one way or another. We even smuggled some into and out of Canada in my pants on the way home. Plus almost got arrested in Harvard Yard at the great austere university of the world drunk on my ass.

It dawns on me most of you guys weren't even born yet or still walking into tables. Oh well...

You can listen to a snip of the first track here. "Morning Is The Long Way Home" and "A Child Should Be A Fish" were sort of the unofficial stoner anthems of that road trip.

Even though we punked out later. There was always Leo walking around in the background there somewhere on the quieter days coming down. He was just about the only guy who could put dada and the surreal into a country riff...

I heard your voice at midnight By the river shore I saw your child sleeping Behind an open door. The moon was in the river Shining up from the floor And the fish swam like moonlight Through your child's closing door And morning is the long way home. The fisherman was drowning By his broken heel His screams were tiny bubbles And his tongue was made of steel When he died his teeth made stones For your lonely child to feel And his eyes like prayers were quiet When you heard his tongue of steel. And morning is the long way home. The ghost of ghosts was passing And the grasses waved like hair I knew I'd die forgotten I'm the whisper of your care. The water would surround me And my body would despair But my heart would understand The door that's closing there. And morning is the Long Way Home.

You can try all you want to find it on YouTube or elsewhere. You won't get the one with the lyrics, only the guitar work.

You can't imagine how pumped I am right now.

5 comments:

sybil law said...

Yeah - I was 3. But still- I can dig it, for sure.
You know he and Mike Gordon (from Phish) did an album together?

Verdant Earl said...

I remember that album. Which is to say, I remember the cover to that album. My sister had it. I don't recall the music though...

sligo said...

we're should start calling you digger.

thanks for keeping Leo in the spotlight.

Sybil, didn't he and Gordon do a second collaboration?

Kaye Waller said...

Oh, yeah. The 12-string being my signature instrument, I listened to Kottke a lot. His open tunings and invented chords were a huge influence on me.

I'm older than you and I was still bumping into tables, albeit for other reasons than age...

sybil law said...

Did they, Sligo? I don't know! I will google the hell out of it tomorrow, though.