October 12, 2010

Morning Coffee


I always wake up a touch grumpy. I don't want to have to go to work, because sometimes work is just plain boring and I have a million other, better, things to do. I suppose I should be career-oriented, but since I've never been, how the heck am I supposed to start NOW?

And then about five or ten minutes after I'm up, as I start getting ready for the day and doing all those morning things you have to do to make the body presentable and sociable and non-grumpy, I always (always) get this wave of positive energy flowing. Even before the coffee. Usually when I'm shaving or washing my face or putting on a shirt. It's a feeling where - hey, you know, I feel pretty good here. Life could be a whole lot worse, and even the daily stuff that has always made and still makes me cranky is really nothing when you put it all in perspective.

For one thing I still have a job, and there's a lot of people in a lot more desperate positions than I'm in. That's for sure.

I follow the same route to work and can probably drive it blindfolded. And three times out of five I stop at the same place for coffee. I don't know how it happens that all these people seem to know each other's names. Nobody knows my name, though I'm here all the time. I'm not exactly sure how that happens. But here's where I listen to the way people talk and how language is used by real people, and I am always subconsciously taking those kind of notes to put into the writing.

I get back in the car with my coffee and have to hold it in one hand until I get over the bump and drive around the construction barricades, so I'm like a rodeo rider in my MINI - one hand on the wheel, the other holding my cup like my arm is a shock absorber so I don't spill coffee all over the magic carpet. And off I go. Sometimes I have NPR on and sometimes the progressive music station from Northwestern or the jazz station nobody seems to know about but me. Sometimes the oldies. Depends on how I feel.

There needs to be a Motown station. You have no idea how cool it was to be a freshman and be one of maybe twelve people in an all white high school back in 1968 who was into Motown. You listen to those songs now and they're pretty dated. Still have a move to bust in there, but you know - they ARE more than 40 years old.

And yet... I think having it in there somewhere is why I feel good every morning five minutes after waking up grumpy. With the reunion coming up for the graduating class, and it being such a time span now, you think about stuff like that.

Ha. Thinking about the handful of us who weren't into the Monkees or the Archies (oh my ever loving GAWD) like the rest - we were pretty cool. Hard for you to pick up on, maybe. But it's part of the thing...


Link to it.

14 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

I've never been a morning person. I see them and I squint at them against the glare of the morning sun, and I don't get it. I want to get it. I wish I got it. But it eludes me. Even after my coffee.

But catch me after the sun goes down, especially right before and after midnight, and I shine brighter than anyone.

RW said...

I guess I'm a morning person, eventually. I'm not a big fan of sleeping. It's kind of a waste of time. I think I'm adaptable. I've been a morning and a night person when I've had to be. Maybe I'm just even.

Verdant Earl said...

Sounds like it. I actually don't sleep any more than the average person. Probably less. I'm just up real late every night and I'm a grouch early in the AM. I probably could remedy that by going to bed earlier, eh?

sligo said...

nothin' but Motown all the time? what a great friggin' idea. my first band -- 1967, for frig sake -- had a 40 song set heavy with Motown, and the Buckinghams, early Beatles, New Colony Six (who i saw nine years later opening at the College of DuPage for some barely known band named Kansas), the Temptations, Wilson Pickett, even some James Brown.
holy crap, i'm old. let me use my oxygen tanks to blow the dust off my guitar and i'll be right back...

btw, with Pandora, you can have your all Motown all the time, yeah?

Kaye Waller said...

I don't really wake up until around nine at night, no matter when I get out of bed. I had to disguise myself as a morning person through all those corporate monkey years, but not anymore.

Yeah. The Shock absorber thing. I had that thing down, too.

And I still LOVE Motown!

sybil law said...

I liked the Monkees when I was like, 5.
Motown reminds me of being in the car with my dad. Plus, it's just awesome.
I LOATHE mornings. Especially when I wake up with swollen eyes every morning due to allergies. I'm pretty.

RW said...

mike, I mean sligo - New. Colony. Six. I think the lead did a solo for Gloria's 50th birthday party when we were there. I think that was him. Whoever that was. yeah. old...

SK - Ever think about who was the idiot that decided we're supposed to wake up real early, run around like crazy people and get busy every day? Why do we do it that way??

sybil - Well there ya go... yer Dad was cool.

RW said...

sligo - yes, Ronnie Rice, right there in Gloria's living room. It was weird.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Somehow, someway, I became a morning person. The fact that most days I am dozing off on the couch at 9:30 shouldn't have anything to do with it, should it?

I think when my babies were little, the morning was the only time I had to myself.

Gino said...

when you can drive a stick-shift, holding an open mug of coffee from home, half asleep on your way to work for six miles, every day for 8yrs, and still never spill a drop...
then you'll have bragging rights over me.

RW said...

candy - I'm a morning person for sure on Saturdays. I love the quiet and even put on some classical music. But I'm not so much a morning person during the week. I dunno...

Gino - You win. I haven't driven a stick in 40 years. I'd probably strip every gear possible.

Tug said...

I'm in shock. You shave before coffee? First thing I do is hit the coffee pot, THEN worry about getting ready. NOT a fan of mornings at all, especially the 4:30am M-F stuff. Also not a fan of the redundancy of showering, all that. I do it, but I really don't like redundant.

Mowtown? I like. ;-) (What *did* The Archies sing??)

RW said...

I'm not exactly sure what the Archie's sang, but I remember it was like fingernails on a blackboard.

Dave2 said...

Did you know that Madonna made a Motown record? It's called "Erotica" and you should really check it out!