September 16, 2010

OK So Start Cluseing

(Ten points if you figure out who this guy is and how he could be connected to this subject)

The idea is to sequester and to close up in order to concentrate on the work. If you want to be a recluse, you better start cluseing in the first place. I've been spending too much time futzing around on the internet and it's serious now. I've got it worked out at home - you'll rarely if ever see me in blogland once I'm home and Facebook is now a once-in-a-while thing. Problem is the dead time at work. I have to watch the showroom and if there's no one coming in.... well... you know. Opportunity.

So I solved this by bringing some of the work here, but not physically. I use the "New Post" feature on this blog to be my platform I can access from here or at home. Turns out I do dialog better from here (work), probably because I'm hearing real people using real idioms in real time. If you were a "Team Member" you'd be able to see a whole lot of crap, that's for sure. And I mean crap, because it always starts with bits and pieces and until it gets going it's... well... you know. Crap.

I have been watching and reading THIS SITE, run by author's agent Janet Reid and it is invaluable. What an incredible resource. Just don't use it if your skin's a little on the thin side. All it is? A blog where people submit "queries" and she tells you why and how the agent you sent it to is going to look at it. If you're picked you get to revise and keep going till you get it. It's a beautiful thing. Especially when she tells people to "SEND IT!" - sometimes even after several rewritten queries. Once you see what she's saying you have to admit - yeah if the query letter sucks it doesn't bode well for what follows. Anyway it's a brilliant blog.

And with that, why yes, I'm admitting we're going to bring this to the "regular" publishing world. The "alternative" scene is still my old home but I can't really see what I'm doing right now as belonging there. So we're going into the maw of the monster (add a childish "lol" here to make it sound non-threatening. Jesus...)

But I've pretty much made peace with the time handling thing and am confident all the time I need to spend is being spent. I know that just makes you so happy.

So who is the guy and what's the relation to the post?

8 comments:

sybil law said...

At first glance I thought it was Peter Sellers, but it isn't him, although the whole Clouseau thing kinda made sense... Then I thought it was Howard Hughes, but it doesn't look like him, although the recluse thing made sense.

So I have no effing clue who it is, but I am glad to hear you're still working on your masterpiece.
:)

Verdant Earl said...

The mustache makes me think of Salvador Dali a bit. Before he really grew it out, of course. Then there is the signature on the bottom that kind of looks like "Fairbanks", but he doesn't really look like Sr. or Jr.

I dunno...I was thinking some famous recluse, but he isn't Salinger, Hughes, Pynchon or anyone else I can think of.

Dammit! I needed that 10 points.

RW said...

You guys are both close on the recluse angle, but you're not obscure enough.

Verdant Earl said...

Aha...got it! But I'll let other folks have some fun with this one.

RW said...

Geez earl it's pretty much you and Sybil anymore. :-D

Brian said...

I've been wracking my brain on this all morning, but got nothing.

Verdant Earl said...

Maybe everyone else is just being shy...

Candy's daily Dandy said...

It's either Errol Flynn or Howard Hughes....or some guy who fences for a living....

agent? query letter? send it? Publisher?
I wrote the story of my divorce...seriously, it's some good reading.